It's been a long and winding road for point guard Angelo Johnson. The Minnesota native was a standout guard at Patrick Henry (Minneapolis, Minn.) High School but needed some time in preparatory school before being eligible under NCAA rules. He spent time at Marietta Convent Christian in Georgia before finishing his prep career at Stone Ridge (Tarzana, Calif.) Prep.
Johnson became eligible while at Stone Ridge and signed a national letter of intent with Tim Floyd and the USC Trojans.
As a true freshman at USC he played in all 33 games for the Trojans earning Pac-10 All-Freshman honors posted career highs in points (17) against Mercer, rebounds (5) Washington and assists (5) San Diego State. He also earned USC's sixth man award.
While he may be a newcomer to the court and Southern Miss fans, Johnson certainly isn't new to the program. He practiced with the team every day last season while sitting out because of NCAA transfer rules. Johnson is now a r-So, and has three years of eligibility remaining for the Eagles.
5-Questions with Angelo Johnson
1) After growing up in Minneapolis and spending some time in Los Angelas, how have you adjusted to life in Hattiesburg?
I have adjusted to Hattiesburg very well. It is very mellow down here, but I really like it.
2) How difficult was it sitting out last year, being able to go through all the practices, but not being able to play in the games?
It was very difficult for me because I felt like I wasn't really a part of the team. I know I was trying to help the team in practice, but I felt like I couldn't help during the games.
3) How would you compare the talent on the Southern Miss team now with the talent on the Southern Cal team you played with two years ago?
I think we have the same talent here as we did there. We may not have an O.J. Mayo, but as a whole we have a lot of talent here.
4) What will be your primary role on offense for Southern Miss this year?
To make my teammates around me better and to play fast.
5) What would you consider a successful season for Southern Miss this year?
Do everything we can to make a run in the conference and have a chance to play in the post-season.
Next week BGN will sit down with Southern Miss power forward Andre Stephens in our ongoing 5-questions series.
Stay locked on BigGoldNation.com for complete coverage of Southern Miss Basketball.
©2009 BigGoldNation.com, all rights reserved.