Southern Miss v. Rice Game Notes October 18, 2008 Rice Stadium
* Captains for Southern Miss were linebacker Tokumbo Abanikanda, running back Damion Fletcher, wide receiver Freddie Parham and tackle Ryan McKee.
* Southern Miss is now 0-2 all-time against Rice. This was the team's first meeting in Houston.
* This was the seventh trip for Southern Miss to the city of Houston. The Golden Eagles are now 2-5.
* The loss snaps a six-game Conference USA road regular season winning streak.
* The four-game losing streak is the first for the Golden Eagles since the 1977 season.
* Senior offensive lineman Ryan McKee started his 34th consecutive game to lead the offensive line.
* Freshman defensive back Kendrick Presley made his first career start.
* Junior running back Damion Fletcher rushed for 120 yards. It is the third 100-yard rushing game of the season and 19th of his career.
* Fletcher now has 2,455 over the last two years, putting him in second for the most yards rushing in consecutive seasons. He holds the record with 2,974 over the 2006-07 seasons.
* Fletcher's three-yard touchdown run in the third quarter was his sixth of the year and 32nd of his career, tying him for second all-time in Golden Eagle history with Harold Shaw (1994-97).
* Fletcher had three runs of 20-plus yards in the game. He now has eight runs of 20 or more yards this year.
* Freshman quarterback Austin Davis threw for a school-record 461 yards and four touchdowns, giving him 1,886 on the year which is also a school freshman record. He is just the second Golden Eagle quarterback to throw for 400-plus yards in a game.
* Davis' 61 pass attempts are also a new school record.
* Davis now has six 200-yard passing games this year.
* His four touchdowns are a career-high and now give him 13 on the year.
* Freshman DeAndre Brown caught 12 passes for 221 yards and four touchdowns. It was his second 100-yard game of the season.
* Brown's four touchdowns are a new school, while his 221 yards are the second most in school history. His 12 receptions are also the second most in Southern Miss history.
* Senior tight end Shawn Nelson caught six passes for 71 yards. He now has sole possession of third place on the all-time receptions list at Southern Miss with 144. He also is now in third place with 1,933 receiving yards, passing LeRoy Handy (1999-2002) in both categories.
* Junior linebacker Gerald McRath recorded 19 tackles (14 solo, 5 assists). It is the second most tackles in his career.
* Redshirt junior wide receiver Gerald Baptiste's 43-yard reception in the first quarter was his longest of the season.
* Junior running back Tory Harrison's six-yard touchdown in the first quarter was his third touchdown of the year and tenth of his career.
* Rice's 17-yard touchdown pass on their first possession was the first time Southern Miss gave up a touchdown on their opponent's first possession this year.
* Redshirt freshman defensive lineman Cordarro Law recorded his second sack of the year in the first quarter.
* Junior punt returner Andre Watson recorded a career-long 37-yard punt return in the first quarter.
* Junior defensive back Michael McGee picked off his first pass of his career, returning it 47 yards.